Thursday, December 19, 2013

Drawing Near, the Magi and Me

For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, 
thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, 
to give you hope in your final outcome.

Christmas draws closer, and I seem to draw quieter. We finally have a tree up. A Noble, and I dare say, she's not very noble. She's a bit shaggy around the edges. I feel the same this season. Still, she's deemed worthy and desirable. She's adorned, decorated, and decked out, and we lay presents at her feet. 

Last night at church, big and little girls ponder what we will lay at Jesus' feet for His birthday. The conversation requires conversing with one's heart. Both young and old are still, dig deep, pause, and ponder. A few are anxious to share, and yet others, are silent. The silent ones are still on the journey, with their gift in hand, and the destination is yet unknown.

I'm currently of the lot that is still trekking. My back bothersome to me these days, it feels like I've been riding a camel. I'd like to identify less with the Magi, but it is they who are speaking to me most this year. As Epiphany beckons me, I'd happily add inspiration to my saddlebag. Yet, my trek seems to lack inspiration, and leans more towards identification with ordinary men. Magi men to be precise: camel riding, dust ridden, tent camping, star gazers who wander and wonder when they'll arrive at their destination....

The Star of Bethlehem from producer Stephen McVeety (Braveheart and The Passion of Christ) is fascinating. See it this season or soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment